Wednesday, September 30, 2015

National Day

October 1st is National Day, which is the anniversary of the People's Republic of China.  October 1-7 is called "golden week" because basically everyone has off work and the result is the biggest week of tourism as people travel to see family.  A group of us teachers will be taking advantage of the 7 days off of work and flying to Malaysia.  So expect there to be blog silence while I'm away but future entries will include beaches, jungles, and Kuala Lumpur.

At school today we celebrated the holiday with singing, games, and other things I didn't really understand because everything was in Mandarin.  Then the students had a special lunch outside.  In the afternoon we kept it pretty chill since everyone was already in vacation mode with extended free play and then watching some Winnie the Pooh in the gym.

Marching out the flag.
Singing the national anthem?


I've said previously that the students are warming up to me more and that is truer each day.  Despite my foreign appearance and the language barrier, I am now one of them.  They will come running up to me to tell me something super exciting that I don't understand or will crawl in my lap to give me a big hug.  Working and living somewhere so different can be frustrating and exhausting but children's energy and excitement is universal and can make everything feel better.





Stray thoughts:
  • If you are feeling adventurous then look up Chinese squatting toilets.  Also, toilet paper is not provided.
  • We tried out drying some of our apples.  We sliced, dipped in lemon, and then strung up on my laundry line.  So far they are looking good!
After 1 night of drying.
  • Since I don't use my tv, I have turned it into a big picture frame.  My cable box is a stand for my other frame, incense gift, and plant.  I'm slowly making this place my home away from home.

  • Also, this big guy just celebrated his 1st birthday, so if you see him make sure to wish him a happy belated birthday.  I miss him like crazy and I think I am freaking people out with how I longingly look at their dogs.  All I want is to pet it and take it home with me to cuddle.  But don't worry, Jordy, nobody can replace you.  Especially not all these little dogs.
  • belated birthday boy


2 comments:

  1. Winnie The Pooh...you touch my heart. Why no TV watching??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos with the kids. So adorable! !!

    ReplyDelete