Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Thanksgiving and Lots of Snow

Christmas is in full swing at my school and across the city.  Celebrating Christmas is a relatively new commercially holiday they celebrate in China and it's not exactly like back home but it still puts me in the spirit.  It's strange hearing Jingle Bells and other Christmas songs being sung in Mandarin as you go grocery shopping.  I sing along all the same.

Despite Christmas taking over, I am writing about Thanksgiving because I'm slow with my blogging recently.  So understandably the Chinese don't celebrate American Thanksgiving and turkeys don't exist here.  Luckily, a restaurant owned by a guy from Atlanta saved the day.  Zax BBQ saves me quite often, honestly.  Western food is hard to come by here and good Western food is even more difficult to find.  But since Zach, the owner, is an actual Westerner, the food actual tastes how it is meant to.  Anyway, back to Thanksgiving.  An American friend and I went to Zax's Thanksgiving dinner and brought along our English friend for fun and ironic reasons.  Below are some pictures of me enjoying my turkey dinner.



Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, mac & cheese, cranberry salad, and a pumpkin taste with a hot cider.

So I was told when I was coming here that this part of China doesn't really get snow and that has been true except for the one day when we got a lot of snow.  I'm used to getting 4 inches dumped on you over night and then having the city clean it up by the time you get to work.  Not here in Zhengzhou.  Snow plows don't exist and shovels don't really either.  People were using brooms and mops to clear the sidewalks and their cars.  Walking commuters (like me) walked in the road in tire treads so we could actually walk.  Most people didn't even try to leave their houses and quite a few people just abandoned their cars in the street and walked wherever they needed to go.


I didn't write this.  I stole it from a Chinese friend.


Chinese people love snowmen apparently because they were everywhere.

Creepiest snow(wo)man goes to this one outside of a salon.

So I trudged my way to school (in boots I had luckily bought the day before) and only had 13 of my 36 students show up.  So basically we just played in the snow and read snow books and had an adorable little snowy day.


The peaceful school yard before we tore it up.













Funny story, so the food delivery truck didn't show up until mid afternoon when it's supposed to get there at like 7 am.  So the cook got bored and decided to make a snowman in the front of the school.



Stray thoughts:
  • There is a random bowling alley down this random little alley on the opposite side of town.  Not sure who found it or how but we went bowling for a birthday party the other night and it was splendid.  Also, every bowling alley is the same apparently.  It doesn't matter where in the world you are.  The screens had those same cheesy cartoons after you hit a strike or get a gutter ball, etc. and you wear the exact same shoes and the place has absolutely the same smell.  I could have been in Wheaton Bowl except this place was empty other than us.


  • So the AQI or Air Quality Index goes up to 500 and when you go above that then you are considered Above Index.  Last week, I had the fun experience of surviving two days where the levels were Above Index.  In comparison, the air in Chicago is 24 right now.  The air in China is bad but it's never been this bad for me in Zhengzhou before and it was pretty unsettling.

My eery walk to school.
  • Look at this photo of me pretending to be a teacher.

  • And look at this photo of one of my students being ridiculously cute.  She makes me think of a Peanuts character dancing.

  • I've uploaded photos and just have to do the wording for two more posts.  So if you care, there are posts about my trips to Xi'an and Hong Kong on the way!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I see snow on some type of palm in the school yard. Their snowmen are so cute...Jaba the Hut types, in honor of the new Star Wars, perhaps? Oh, cute except the creepy salon one. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about CHRISTmas in China. Do they know what it's really about? I sent the "creepy" snow woman to Ben with a comment (and you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are sooooo cute! Creepy snow-woman indeed. Also, creepy air quality photo.

    ReplyDelete